KIDS PROTECTION PLANNING
Having a Will alone simply does not ensure the care of your kids if the unthinkable happens to you!
If you are a family with young children, then your estate plan should begin with a foundation that ensures your children would always be taken care of, no matter what happens. At Jill Gregory Law, one of our areas of greatest expertise is planning for and protecting your children.
Planning for your young children is about so much more than naming a guardian. It’s about making sure you have a plan in place for all of life’s little accidents.
Without advance legal planning for your children, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
- Your children could be placed into the care of Child Protective Services (yes, even if you have a will in place and even if you have a living trust) and, yes, it would very likely only be temporary, but trust us, you never want your children in the arms of strangers. Not even for a minute.
- Your children could be put into the custody and care of someone you would never want, like that one family member who has good intentions, but you’d never want raising your kids.
- A judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want.
- Your family could get into a long, drawn out custody fight or there could be a challenge to the guardians you have designated.
- Up to 5% of the value of your assets could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees through the probate process, a court process that can tie up your assets for years and deprive your kids of the resources they need to live comfortably, which can totally be avoided with advance legal planning.
- When your kids turn 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left.
- There are unscrupulous people out there who make it their business to look at the public records to find out when 18yr olds are getting that inheritance check.
- The vast majority of estate planning attorneys do not address these issues, and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Yes, these things scare us too. That’s why we offer a Kids Protection Plan® with every estate plan we prepare for families with young children.
Thanks for your interest. I know you have a lot of options when it comes to legal planning. Jill Gregory has been a trusted advisor for over 20 years.
We look forward to meeting with you and learning how we can serve you and your family.